Thursday, March 21, 2013

Inspired by the Traveling Pants



Although I was never really fond of lucky charms and the like, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants could very well be one of my favorite movies - not so much because of the special pants themselves but, more of the stories behind each character.

As you can see, there are four of them: Bridget, Carmen, Lina and Tibby. Bridget's a soccer superstar and the most outgoing and fun - loving of them all. It's probably a coping mechanism for her mom's death but, who knows. Tibby's an aspiring filmmaker, whose rebellious, couldn't - care - less nature was challenged by an annoying 12 year old with Leukemia, whom she learned to love. Lina's an awkward, conservative writer and artist, just breaking out of her shell and finally, there's Carmen - who, having been left by her father, isn't the most stable person in the world but, is pretty brilliant nonetheless.

I just finished watching the movie.

Again.

And suddenly, I wanna fly to Santorini (or anywhere) and draw everything I see, write about all my friends, interview every interesting person I know and make a good movie (or blog) out of it, join a camp in another country and, well, send a package via FedEx. Haha, what is inspired!

Apart from making me cry really hard, the movie got me to think about all the things I want to do in life. Here's an exchange between Lina and some Greek guy... whose name escapes me.

"I'm jealous of her."

"Why?"

"Because she knows who she is."

"Don't you?"

"I know who I want to be."

I guess it's something to think about - who we are vs. who we want to be? I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this but, I can certainly identify with her. I know who I want to be. I know that... I want to be the type of girl that just flies to Santorini or the type that draws everything she sees and interviews people for fun and joins camps in other countries and uses FedEx to send stuff over. That type of girl.

It's not that I'm unhappy with who I am - which is the type of girl that falls asleep in clubs and holds private concerts in the shower and makes a billion lists everyday and enjoys stressing over projects and is incapable of completely chilling and intentionally does something new every week. I guess I like being that girl too but, please forgive me for wanting to, well, expand my horizons, experience completely new things, go out on adventures and just live more.

Exciting, right? Imagine where you are right now and where you could be in a year! It makes you think about your story and how much potential it has.

Anyway, I'll end this with a perfect line from a Natasha Begindfeild song.


"Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten."

:)




No comments:

Post a Comment