Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hard Work > Talent



A month ago, I blogged about how boredom during Math 53 gave me an opportunity to start doodling again. This time, I have a whole lot more time on my hands to do exactly that! Yaay. :)

I prepared for this though. Spare time, I mean. I prepared by packing tons of pens and blank sketchbooks. I've already finished one 150 x 100 mm one from Muji. It's my 3rd one, if I'm not mistaken, and now I'm starting my 4th! But aside from that, I'm also using a larger one that measures 162 x 225 mm.

I learned a valuable thing from my friend, Cai, who recently discovered that she's a gifted calligrapher! (Check here!) Because of her, I learned the value of practice. :)

See, I don't like having to work hard. Each page of a sketchbook is a treasured thing - so much that I don't allow myself to make mistakes. It just has to be perfect on the first try. Else, that would be a waste of a perfectly good piece of paper. I put a lot of pressure on myself.

For example, the first 6 times I ever drew on envelope flaps produced the first 6 designs of Details Ink. The next 6 times produced the 6 designs of the 2012 collection... I didn't really give myself options. I didn't work hard to make it better and consequently, I didn't improve. I took comfort in the thought that it was good without me having to try too much or work too hard.

And that, my friends, is a horrible way to think.

My sister posted the following quote:

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

I know that I have to sort of get off my high horse, tear down my pride and hold on to my pens and use them - again and again and again.

And that is why I'm really happy with all the time I have in my hands over here. It's because I get to draw. I get to draw and redraw and write and rewrite and basically, do things a little better than usual. It's time to raise my standards for myself once again. Oh, the excitement!

Here are some of the random doodles I've done on this trip so far. Please excuse the low resolution!!




This is a repost from the Details Ink blog:

In line with the Details Ink reINnovation, our Instagram account is now up & running! Stay tuned for a whole lot more doodles, inspirational quotes & lyrics and more! As our new tagline says – starting today – we’re giving you art, impact & everything in ink. :)
<<3

2 comments:

  1. Great post!! :) xx

    Sammie
    sammiethestargirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete