Thursday, January 15, 2015

A Glimpse of Project Life



Last weekend, I was invited to attend a workshop by Life Documented Manila - a little team of scrapbook lovers that sell super cute craft  products and share everything you need to know about completing your own album. I met 2/3 of their team at the #DesignHerStory conference some time last year.

That moment is quite hard to forget because, well, I had been following LDM for a while already so, when I saw them I got starstruck pleasantly surprised. I ran over there with a little too much excitement and introduced myself and apparently, they were also followers of Details Ink. The other participants simply walked past us as we fan-girl-ed over each other. Haha! 

Months later, I attended my first Project Life workshop under them and left, completely satisfied and just thrilled to continue the work I started there. Let me tell you all about it. Hihihi.

Wait, no.
Let me show you!
:)



We were asked to bring our own 4x6 photos but, they basically gave us everything else, including: 120+ printed cards and a 6x8 Project Life Album. They offered something called a "Craft Buffet", an entire table filled with stamps, stickers, washi tape, papers, inks that we were allowed to use during the session! I died. Hahaha. I was so overwhelmed with the choices, that I might have stood there and stared for over a minute...

See, I used to collect all these supplies too. I would hoard pens, and scrap book embellishments, and although I'd hardly use them, - because I was saving them for a special occasion that never came - just having them in my big box made me such a happy kid. Haha! And when I actually did have the time, I'd make things. Lots of things. I'd make super detailed, hand crafted birthday letters for friends, Christmas cards or whatnot but, my main use for those hoarded items was to decorate my yearly hand-made planner. Haha! I miss that. There's barely any time to fill up a store-bought planner nowadays. :(

My old planners look like scrap books. 

Some people may think it's way too cheesy or that it's a total waste of time and money but, I disagree. Completely. When I look back at those planners, I see tiny details of my life at that time and seeing it makes me remember. And that is why I love doing this. 

It's because I never ever want to forget.
That's one of my fears, actually.
I don't want to forget the things my high school friends and I would do during breaks, the people I'd run to when I hated life, what I really felt during prom night, and even that break through I had while in the bathroom. 

I want to remember everything.

That's why I thing stuff like this is so important.
That's why I keep a journal.
That's why I take my planner way too seriously, haha.
And that's why I really, really love Project Life.
Or documenting life in general.

Huhuhu Thank you Becky Higgins! <3




When I started my album, I couldn't decide on a specific theme. I never finished scrapbooks in the past because it was quite difficult to fill all the pages with "My 13th Birthday" or any one event. So, I thought of making a super general theme: something I could continue where I left off without worrying about consistency or flow...

My Project Life album is now my Happy Book.
Hihihi.

Am I the most boring person alive? Huhu.

But, yeah! It legit made me happy though.

I want to fill it up with moments of all kinds and I'd be able to look through it when I hate life and realize that I actually love it. Haha. In the workshop, I learned not to be so afraid to write on my pictures. So, I did. A lot. Haha.



I included the stories that those photos came with. Like in this one above, there was a mudslide in Mt. Batulao when I brother and I were up there so, we literally reveled in the dirt. We took are shoes off and slid down the hills, the way we used to when we were kids. Afterwards, we were dirty. It was gross. We looked gross. Haha! But we were so, so happy. :)


The photos above were taken on another adventure I had with Timo. This time, we went to Singapore. The photo below was taken when we met a few ladies at Little India who did our Henna Tattoos and told us all about the area. 

Simple moments like those are the ones I'd want to remember, actually. Good conversations, days and places that made me feel peace... stuff like that.


Another thing I like about attending workshops is that I feel so distant from my world. Generally, I love being in places when I don't really know anyone and no one really knows me. There's a little freedom in that. Strangely, it's in those cases where I'm more confident to talk to people.

I really love talking to strangers. Haha.

Anyway, my table mates were two new mommies! They seemed like they were very good friends. It was so cute. They were so excited about documenting the growth of their new kids. And I feel like I saw my future self... Hahaha. Because to be honest, I really feel like I'm gonna be the best mommy in the world. (haha sorry but, I'm really not joking because I really feel like that is my true calling haha okay goodbye)


I think I did an okay job as a Project Life beginner. Now the challenge is gonna be finding time to sit down and continue what I started and hopefully, finishing it. :)

Life Documented Manila is holds workshops regularly! You should check their site! Hihihi.

Thank you, LDM, for having me and for reigniting my love for this beautiful form of art!

Love,
#HappyKara
:)



1 comment:

  1. AHHHHH!!! Karaaaaa!!! I like the writing on the photo thing!! It's soooo cool that I'll do it next time I have photos printed. :D Haha. It's a great feeling to have a book full of good fun memories, yes? :) Miss you!!!! :D

    ReplyDelete